10 May 2012

Lentils and Apple Purée

BY Unknown IN , , , , , , , , , , 2 comments

Sleep deprivation is a form of torture that is every parents nightmare. Before Issac was born, all my friends and acquaintances told me I could kiss my good night sleeps goodbye. What I wasn't prepared for was that my baby was not a napper at all. I could never get him to take regular naps during the day or to sleep undisturbed throughout the night no matter how hard I tried.
The first month was particularly hard. My mum and I took turns staying awake at nights while Issac slept in our arms. I was exhausted. I don't know how he did it. He could stay up for hours and not seem even the tiny bit tired or sleepy.He would sometimes take a cat-nap, a 30 minute deep sleep, that would then give him the energy to stay up for another good six hours!

People keep telling me it would get better as he got  older. But how old, I ask? Issac's 8 months old now and he is still waking up three times a night ― to nurse, to play, to cry, to do anything but sleep. We just don’t understand why he isn't more tired, when we are utterly exhausted and drained. We have a daily night time routine that I try and follow as much as we can; dinner, bath time, and milk before bed with the lights dimmed low.And like it had been since the day he was born, some nights Issac would go right to sleep, and some nights, perhaps once every couple of weeks, we would get lucky and he would sleep through the night.

To make it worse, my husband is one of those gifted people who falls asleep as soon as his head hits the bed and can stay asleep. Its not his fault he is a deep sleeper but couldn't he have passed his gift on to our son too?? Was that just too much to ask for?



My search for the best technique to regulate my baby's sleeping patterns continue and I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Does anyone out there have a fail proof plan you use to get your baby to sleep through the night? I would definitely love to hear about it.

Today's recipe is a weird combo but is one of Issac's favourites. The sweetness from the apple and the aromatic spices are bound to tingle your wee ones taste buds!

Lentils and Apple Purée
Adapted from Homemade Baby Food Recipes

1/2 cup red lentils
2 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 small apple, cored and diced (refer Notes)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
pinch cinnamon

Roast the lentils in a heavy bottomed pan (without oil). Boil the water and add the roasted lentils. Cook till the lentils are done.
Whilst the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a small frying pan and saute the diced onion until tender.
Add the diced apple and crushed garlic to the onion, then stir in all the spices.
Cook for a few more minutes, until the apple is tender.
Tip the onion/apple mixture into the lentil pot and leave it to simmer for 5 more mins.
Allow to cool.
Mash well using a spoon if you want some texture for older babies or you can just run it in a food processor or blender for a few seconds until smooth.
Leftovers will freeze well or can stay in the fridge for up to 48 hours.



Notes
You can use any lentils you like(yellow, red or green). I used red as they cook faster.
You may prefer to peel the apples. I now have started to leave the apples unpeeled as Issac has no problems with the peels.
You can find more information about whether to peel or not here.

2 comments:

  1. Honey Chechi!

    This is such a cute blog, which I never knew existed! Have shared this blog with my friend's who have children like Issac! I loved the way you resented the dishes as well as introduction! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vini... Bookmark my blog, for maybe the future? ;)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)