04 June 2012

Finger Foods - Sweet Corn Mini Fritters

BY Unknown IN , , , , , No comments

It’s funny that I almost don’t know what to do with myself when I’m not looking after Issac. Looking back at my pre Issac days of being bored or tired, I didn’t know the meaning of tired until now and there’s no time for boredom but all jokes aside, I love being a mother.  It’s hard at times but incredibly satisfying to watch this little lovely being grow into a happy little boy.

Issac’s 9.5 months now and he has been pulling himself up to stand (everywhere) and I may have to get him a baby helmet because he keeps falling down and hitting his head.  But most of the time he goes plonk on his butt. Thank God for nappies!! He is so much more talkative and expressive.  It’s so funny to watch some of the faces he comes up with.

The Plunket nurse suggested it was high time I got him started on finger foods and left me with a list of stuff,complied by Watties, I could get him started on. I thought I’d share this with you to give you an idea:

Cooked Broccoli 
Cooked Carrot 
Cheese slices
Small Sandwiches with Peanut Butter or Marmite
Biscuits
Crackers
Slices of sausage luncheon
Dried Apricot
Fruits like peach, pear, apple, banana (all sliced or diced into bit sized pieces)
Grated Cheese
Cooked Pasta
Raisins
Cooked Peas

Keep an eye out for more Finger Food recipes. These would be great for kids all ages!

Every kid loves sweet corn and so does Issac! Today’s recipe is a great way to sneak in cheese and other veges along with the sweet corn. They are a source of protein to fill up little tummies, as they’re made with an egg. An all-round winner in my book!

You can add some seasonings and voila you have a great tea time snack for the parents too.

Sweet Corn Mini Fritters
Recipe Source : Freddie's Food




1/2 cup self-rising flour
1 egg
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/2 grated carrot (refer Notes)

Blend sweet corn until just less than finely pureed. 
Add egg and blend again and keep aside.
Mix flour, cheese and grated carrot and combine well.
Combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients.
Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Spoon batter into the hot oil, each fritter is about a heaped tablespoon, and cook for a couple of minutes until the surface starts to bubble. Flip and cook until golden. The trick is not to get it too hot so they turn a lovely golden color and are still soft.

Notes
You can use either frozen or canned or fresh sweet corn for this.
Play around with the recipe by adding different veges like courgette, tomatoes, cucumbers, potato or anyting else your child likes.
For older kids you can even add in some bacon or ham to add some pizzaz to the mix!
You can make the batter in advance while your little one is asleep (it will keep in the fridge for 24 hours) and the fritters freeze well for those days when you run out of time to cook something fresh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment coz I'd love to hear what you think about my blog and my posts. :)